
I loved the article When Mom and Dad Share It All in the New York Times. There's a lot to think about in there, like why so many people believe in an equal partnership in their relationships but how very few people actually create equality through a fair division of labor. I was really surprised at how little time Dads get to spend with their kids, the article saying the average being only around 3 hours a day. Mom's in comparison spend about 11 (when working) to 15 (not working) which is about the same average as in the 50s.
2 comments:
And we say we've come a long way... Of course that is the average.
I'm actually not that surprised by those numbers. In my experience it's the rare couple (especially in the church) that is conscientious about dividing things equally. It gets complicated, too - because I'm home during the day I end up doing far more housework than Eric does (probably like a 95% to 5% split.) Is it equal? Who knows - but it's what we do out of convenience, or necessity, or whatever.
Post a Comment