
I've been looking forward to tomorrow for weeks but I thought by now I would have made up my mind. I mean, I did make up my mind, then I decided to unmake it, then make it again. I'm sad to admit I'm the worst of worsts in politics: a flip-flopper!
I think my casual flip-flopping has a lot to do with my satisfaction with several of the candidates. They're level headed, respectful, and pro-environment. Check out their enviro stances here.
They're a nice looking bunch with one exception. I like Obama. I like Clinton. I even like McCain, aside from the hundred years in Iraq business. But Huck? I'll let him speak for himself: Huckabee: "I'm not saying Mormonism is a Satanic cult, just asking." I'm not saying the man is a religious bigot whose son hung a dog at scout camp, just asking.
So I've eliminated one. Now what?
Here are a few of my thoughts. I'm happy to hear anyone else's opinion.
Obama
He's new, he's fresh, he's smart. He's a leader in the make you believe in America sort of way. He's electable. He can capture independents. The media loves him. The man could reshape America and the press seems ready to roll out the red carpet for him to walk on while doing it. I don't think he can be stopped. Another plus for me, the more I learn, the more I really love Michelle Obama. The woman is brilliant and seems as ready to make things happen as her husband.
BUT can he get everything he believes in done??? or is he a Jimmy Carter?
Hillary
She's an INCREDIBLE politician. The woman has skills. I believe she can get anything she sets her mind to done. She has specific policies developed and knows how to implement them.
I have a hard time believing the people who see her as a radical liberal demon have ever listened to the woman speak. She's measured and moderate and works well across the aisle. I think most people's Hilary hate comes from their deep seated hostility to female power. That makes me want her to win.
BUT - she is old school Washington with a lot of special interest money. And nothing will bring out the Rep vote like Hilary
McCain
I've watched McCain for years and been impressed by his work. Some examples of the causes he's fought for that I believe in: Immigration, Campaign finance reform, environmental standards, Opposition to torture, and on and on. I always thought McCain was the most attractive Republican in the senate.
BUT He's Old Washington too. And Iraq - I feel in many ways McCain is the most realistic about the situation over there but at the same time I feel like military spending is so out of control that it's undermining our economy. I don't feel like McCain would be equipped to remedy that.
If you think I'm wrong or want to offer any helpful facts, I'm open to them. I'll probably be voting tomorrow afternoon.
9 comments:
Wow, you just lobbed a bunch of red meat up on your blog. =)
I'm going to take the bait.
Obama? You read him very well. A lot of me would love to see him in the White House. Michelle Obama is fantastic and who doesn't want kids in the White House? My concern is with his policies. If he gets his way, what does that mean? Higher taxes? Bigger gov't? He's been complaining lately about how long it took him to pay back his student loans - sorry, Harvard is expensive. He's been fairly quiet on specific issues (like a good candidate). Though I think he will moderate significantly come general election and if he gets to the White House, he is wrong on Iraq. With that said, from the little I know on him, I like his "world view".
2. Hillary. Again spot on. She's much more moderate than Obama and much more palatable to the Right than the Right would ever admit. The problem is Bill.
Also, I would argue that Hillary does not do for women what Barack would do for Blacks. Hillary is where she is because of Bill, not because she fought her way to the top on her own. Her narrative is not the one that most women would have preferred to break through the glass ceiling.
(Now because I can already hear the objections, no Obama's narrative isn't quite what African American's would have written either. Oh well.)
3. McCain is McCain. He's spot on with some things, but way off on others. He's right on surge (tactic), but wrong on hundred years (strategy). He's wrong on taxes, but right on spending. Totally right on ethanol. Totally right on torture. Right on social issues (mainly by not making a big deal but promising conservative judges). Immigration? Hard to say, since he hasn't said what he'll do, other than "build a fence". Just a note on immigration. It is not a national security issue, never was and isn't now (9/11 hijackers had legit visas). Immigration is an economic and cultural issue. End of rant.
End result? Democratic party chooses the next president with who they nominate.
Dem nominee is Hillary? Then McCain wins with a motivated base.
Dem nominee is Obama? McCain can't motivate his base and Obama gets all the indys.
Good luck deciding/voting tommorow!
I haven't decided how to vote as I'm not sure who my vote would really help. I should just vote for the candidate that I prefer I suppose.
I'm undecided too. I might just go ahead and do what the bumper sticker on my car says - vote for Pedro.
I liked Jimmy Carter and history has shown that he made some good things happen...I am an optimist. Let's vote for the person who really believes they can make a difference. Is that Hillary or Barack? I don't know. I actually sort of like McCain too, but will be voting for a Democrat next fall.
I say vote for Obama. McCain reminds me of Richard Dreyfuss in What About Bob and I think Hillary is ugly (sorry to be so blunt and rude). Honestly, I think Obama is the only one that motivates me to do anything. Who really wants Billy back in the White House and who wants old Washington there either. And my final thought....I am a woman which makes me think I personally don't want a woman to be president. Or maybe I would, if it wasnt Hillary. So vote for Obama...or you could write me in or Little Lilly who knows her geography better then ole Huck. Good luck.
This is such an interesting election. I enjoyed reading your opinions. Are you voting after work? If so, we should go together.
Jess
Oh, and AMEN about Huckabee. I think his tactics are disgusting. Orson Scott Card wrote a good article about the same issue you brought up:
http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2008-01-13-1.html
Adam- Loved the response.
On Obama, I hear Rep freaking out about the development of large government under the Dems but they seem okay about the massive expansion of the Pentagon, military, NSA etc etc. Last time I checked those guys were government too. Shouldn't their growth be checked to ensure a sizable and efficient use of our resources? What's up with all the no bid contracts? And troops on the ground without supplies even with huge amounts of spending? BAD BAD management of the big gov type.
Clinton After last night it looks like she's slipping. I think Clinton's presidency would do great things for women. She's promised to take up several "women's" issues in her presidency, like closing the pay gap, improving paid maternity leave and promoting work life balance. (Obama has pledged to do the same) But I really believe that the example of effective, powerful and smart female leadership can do a lot. I remember being thrilled any time I had a female professor at school. To me at least, role models make a big difference, no matter their back story. And I don't believe Hillary is where she is just because of Bill. I think in a lot of ways she's in political power despite him. Even as a younger woman she was very politically active and made things happen.
McCain - Agree. Except for Ethanol, but that's a long story. (I'm pro sugarcane) But it looks like he'll be facing Obama. I had to laugh last night because there was a headline that said McCain and Huckabee neck to neck in VA. Interesting since neither of those guys seems to have much of a neck.
Katy, I don't mean to drag out this political post of yours, but my usual political compatriots have gone silent...
Re: Big gov't. First, you're right when you say that the military is not a model of WalMart efficiency. I would argue that we need a larger, more stable military, but also revamped to reflect the change from cold war enemies to a faceless enemy (our military should look more like a para-military peace corps/army corps of engineers - but that is a discussion for another day). Also, we should be so much smarter about how and when we engage. If we are truly in Iraq to spread democracy why aren't we in Africa and some other places (not that I'm encouraging us to...)
Spending. Few would argue that conservatives/Republicans showed themselves the door by the way they governed from 2001-2006. I'm glad we have a two party system. Lastly, as Romney pointed out in the debates, 60% of the fed budget goes to entitlements - not pork barrel spending, not bridges to nowhere, not even the military; 60% goes to welfare, medicare, medicaid, etc. That's where we can made a big difference in the size of govn't.
Clinton, yea, she's not looking good after the potomac primary, BUT she is a Clinton and they don't go down easy. I can see her doing well in Texas, Ohio, and Penn (more blue collar areas, her demographic) and putting up a good fight still.
We can talk about Clinton's story some other time. =)
Yea, its going to be Obama/McCain. Young vs. Old. Hope vs. Cold Realism. Withdrawl vs. Surge. Fresh vs. Experience.
Huckabee is waiting to get out because he can't look like he was only in the race until this point to keep Romney at bay. Give him a couple more days...
Post a Comment